Nine Viessmann World Cups and the season highlight: the 47th FIL World Championships in Innsbruck
Atlanta (RWH) The new luge calendar has just been released. The International Luge Federation (FIL) schedule for winter 2016/2017 includes nine Viessmann World Cups and the season highlight – the 47th World Championships in Innsbruck. The up-and-coming Olympic track in PyeongChang, Korea, is set to stage a Viessmann World Cup for the first time. The schedule has been ratified by the FIL Executive Board in Atlanta, USA.
The luge season will get underway on 26 and 27 November 2016 with the Viessmann World Cup in Winterberg, Germany. The overseas events in Lake Placid (USA), Whistler (CAN), Park City (USA) will all take place before the Christmas break.
Königssee will host the first Viessmann World Cup of 2017, which will also double as the 48th FIL European Championships. Sigulda will host the sixth round of the Viessmann World Cup prior to the season highlight, the 47th FIL World Championships in Innsbruck from 27 to 29 January 2017. After the title battles in Tyrol, the remaining Viessmann World Cups will take place in Oberhof (GER), in PyeongChang (KOR), which also doubles as a trial run for the 2018 Winter Olympics, before the season finale in Altenberg (GER).
Six Viessmann Team Relay World Cups presented by BMW are planned, along with three BMW Sprint World Cups.
The International Luge Federation (FIL) schedule in winter 2016/2017:
1. Viessmann World Cup Winterberg GER 26/27 November 2016
2. Viessmann World Cup Lake Placid USA 02/03 December 2016
3. Viessmann World Cup Whistler CAN 09/10 December 2016
4. Viessmann World Cup Park City USA 16/17 December 2016
5. Viessmann World Cup Königssee GER 07/08 January 2017
(*also the 48th FIL European Championships)
6. Viessmann World Cup Sigulda LAT 14/15 January 2017
47th FIL World Championships Innsbruck AUT 27-29 January 2017
7. Viessmann World Cup Oberhof GER 04/05 February 2017
8. Viessmann World Cup PyeongChang KOR 18/19 February 2017